Monday, February 5, 2007

1st day of class

Today I had my first class of Art 101 with Brew. Most of the students didn't know much about Art, and I could relate to them. As the class progressed we learned about Lines, Movement, Direction, and light in paintings. After today I finally understand why people stare at pictures for a long period of time. Brew told us that the average person stares at a painting for approximately 3 seconds, I believe this is due to lack of artistic knowledge.
Brew told us to search information about Giuseppe Arcimboldo, who was an Italian painter known for creating portraits of people made of fruits, vegetables, flowers, fish, and books. In my opinion he was very artistic and talented. I'm hoping that in future classes we are able to create portraits using techniques like his.

1 comment:

Anne Brew said...

Dear Shallon,

Archemboldo (sp?) was painting about 75 years earlier than the artists of the two paintings your selected to write about this semester.

Do you think his work is progressive for his time - compared to the other works?
brew